Friday, July 16, 2010

A new Routine from this Thursday

Hi All,

We have been in this dilemma a lot of times. I have been in this so many times that I hardly remember the routines that gave me the best results. So this time I have again been on the lookout. By the way, I should brief you about the workout that I was following.

  1. Squat 20 reps
  2. Pullovers 20 reps
  3. Shoulder press 10 reps
  4. Chinups – 10 reps
  5. shoulder press – 10 reps
  6. chinups – 10 reps
  7. dips – 10 reps
  8. bb curls – 10 reps
  9. dips – 10 reps
  10. bb curls – 10 reps
  11. Stiff Leg Deadlift – 15 reps.

This is all. In the beginning this seemed like a very good routine, with the inclusion of good number of reps and the volume is also a good one. As the weights on the bar is increasing, I am finding it difficult to maintain the strength for the subsequent exercises. I know, I should slow down a bit, but then it takes too long to complete the routine, which again is a problem, as I have other occupations. The best way I feel is to abbreviate the routine a bit. But how, and this is a really Big HOW, that is consuming my day with needless and confusing thoughts.

My plan would be something like this:-

Workout A

  1. Squat 20 reps
  2. Pullovers 20 reps
  3. Shoulder press 10 reps
  4. Chinups – 10 reps
  5. shoulder press – 10 reps
  6. chinups – 10 reps

Workout B

  1. Stiff Leg Deadlift – 15 reps.
  2. dips – 10 reps
  3. bb curls – 10 reps
  4. dips – 10 reps
  5. bb curls – 10 reps

This looks good, with the routine now being to be done on Monday and Thursday. But the point is, Squat is an exercise that builds bulk, so should I leave it as it is, with its volume being reduced to almost half? I don’t know, but I have recently come across a Training Coach by the name John Christy, who claims his routine to be the best. By the way he is an advocate of Abbreviated, Hardgainer kind of routines, something I find good meaning and something I see geniuses about. His routine is something like this:-

Workout A (performed for instance on Monday)

  1. Sit-ups 1 set of 15 - 20
  2. Squat 2- 5 sets of 5- 15
  3. Stiff leg deadlift – 1 set of 5 -15
  4. Bench press – 2 – 5 sets of 5 - 15
  5. Dumbbell rowing – 2 – 5 sets of 5 - 15
  6. Barbell static grip – 1 – 2 sets of 60 to 90 second holds.
Workout B (performed on Thursday)
  1. Sidebends – 1 set of 15 -20
  2. Deadlifts (Bent-legged) – 2 sets of 5 - 15
  3. Military press – 2 sets of 5 - 15
  4. Barbell curls – 2 sets of 5 - 15
  5. Close-grip bench press – 2 sets of 5 - 15
  6. Standing calf raise - 3 sets of 20.

If you see the sets and reps are very loosely stated. Itseems all set – rep schemes work. So there is no clear defined or written on rock statement here. I have spent most of my time here though. How many sets, how many reps are good, etc etc. But I know it’s been a waste of my time. Considering this, it is very close to what Arthur Jones states, but with some of his intensifying theories removed. Now I am sure from my experience though limited, that all these intensifying agents don’t work, they are all there to show how intense the workout was, but it does not work in the long run, and leaves a person gasping. I would prefer a most longer lasting routine that helps me pack on quality muscle and helps me get off with the loose fat around me. So the routine that I would be following is:-

  1. Sit-ups 1 set of 20
  2. Squat 2 sets 15
  3. Stiff leg deadlift – 1 set of 15
  4. Bench press – 2 sets of 10
  5. Chinups – 2 sets of 6
  6. Barbell static grip – 1 – 2 sets of 60 to 90 second holds.
Workout B (performed on Thursday)
  1. Sidebends – 1 set of 20
  2. Deadlifts (Bent-legged) – 2 sets of 15
  3. Military press – 2 sets of 10
  4. Barbell curls – 2 sets of 10
  5. Close-grip bench press – 2 sets of 10
  6. Standing calf raise - 3 sets of 20.

I have done one workout of them. That is the Workout B

1. Sidebends – 1 set of 20 ………………………………….22 kgs
2. Deadlifts (Bent-legged) – 2 sets of 15 ………………….70 kgs
3. Military press – 2 sets of 10 ……………………………34 kgs
4. Barbell curls – 2 sets of 10 ……………………………… 26 kgs
5. Close-grip bench press – 2 sets of 10 ……………………30 kgs
6. Standing calf raise - 3 sets of 20. ………………………Didn’t do this.

The idea is to involve periodization. I will add 2 kgs to the big exercises every workout, and do the intended reps and sets. If I don’t meet the necessary reps, I will not increase the weight for atleast 3 workouts. If I don’t meet it even then, it would be the time to take a drop the reps by 3 or 4 on that exercise, and then increase the reps. I will then progress for sometime in weight and then again drop the reps by 1 or 2 as intended, then increase the weight, but this has to be very very gradually.

I will post my progress as and when I find time. Yes, and there are other things worth noting. The Diet has to be checked, you cannot fool around with it. The calorie intake has to be between 3000 to 4000 calories a day. Its only then the weight, the muscularity will increase. I myself don't pay much attention to this, and i have failed repeatedly due this shortcoming. I wish to say and declare that, my routines have all been good, the lack of progress is due to my lack of proper diet, and i fail even now. I want to improve on it, and i surely will.


No comments:

Post a Comment