Monday, July 22, 2013

Single Rep Training

After reading Jeff Pitts, I have come up with a single's program to boost my strength and size. My coach says, heavy low rep training seldom causes injuries. It is best that it is done for a lower volume though.

Jeff talks about a workout where he Bench Presses one day and squats the other day. He claims that such an abbreviated routine is a must of gains. I don't think I can survive with such a low volume, I get too impatient and cannot stay away from the gym that long.

I have clubbed the routine of Ken Smith created a full body twice a week routine. If it is the intensity that causes growth, then heavy low reps should provide the maximum intensity, the volume can be achieved by the variety in exercise. What I mean is, the Squat and Deadlift hit almost the same musculature, so does the Bench Press and Shoulder Press. So a heavy weight and the overlap between these exercises should provide the necessary fatigue.

One would say this about me "On One side you were not happy with a single set of 6 reps, but now you are happy with 1 set of 1 rep. This is a very strange and contradictory way of the way you are designing your routine."

I don't know man, but this guy Jeff Pitts has jotted down a routine that is too good to be true, and I am at the edge of my strength potential.

My present limit lifts are -
1. Squat - 110kg x 3
2. Bench Press - 76 kg x 4
3. Deadlift - 140 kg x 6
4. Shoulder Press - 40 kg x 10
5. Chinups - BW x 8
6. Tricep Extension/Skull Crushers - 22 kg x 6
7. BB Curl - 26 kg x 12

So this is what i will start with. You can consider this my first session on the Single's experiment:-

Workout 1:-
Main Lifts:-
1. Squat - 110kg x 1
2. Bench Press - 78 kg x 1
3. Deadlift - 142 kg x 1
4. Shoulder Press - 42kg x 1
5. Chinups - 12kg x 1

Assistance Lifts:-
6. Tricep curls - 22kg x 6
7. BB Curls - 26kg x 8
8. Calf Raises - FS x 6
9. Ab Crunches - 20kg x 8

The goal is to build Absolute Strength, no injuries, and then to show massive size. This is a routine I plan to do 2 times a week. Let's see how I cope.




1 comment:

  1. I could not follow through on this. Too many exercises and a single rep in them with absolutely no burn, no pump. I just didn't feel that I had worked out.

    ReplyDelete