Monday, April 1, 2019

Injuries make you more grounded

Not that I'm not a down to earth kind of guy, but when you are dealt with an injury it really brings you down, makes you realise your perspective of life.
Recently, while playing badminton, I re-injured my knee. It was the same knee that needed an ACL reconstruction back in 2007. Yeah yeah, it was a long time ago, and this could have been a new injury altogether, but considering my lifestyle and my passion towards health and fitness, the injury just shouldn't have occurred. I'll come to that later, but let's first talk about what I mean by me getting more grounded.
Most people in their 20's or early thirties, that live an active life and are robust, and have been lucky to never be severely injured will not even relate to and may even dismiss what I write here. But it's like financial planning. We youngsters with the abundance of prospects ahead of us seldom take advice from seniors and retired well-wishers to save, invest and spend wisely.
I digress from the topic of Injury and my perspective change. Before I delve into that, I'll first tell you what I am and how I spend most of my time. I am corporate worker, 9 to 5 job, 2 to 3 hours of total commute by motorbike, have a family with my lovely wife and a cute little kid of just 8 months. My work doesn't demand much physical labor, but my commute, grocery shopping and household chores do, nothing uncommon in this 21st century. Occasionally I enjoy some sport in office, like badminton or TT. I really enjoy building my body, so yes, I do weight train. I like the feeling of being strong and move heavy weight in the squats, deadlift and bench press. I strive for the pump, soreness and the feel good factor post workout for the shear amount of weight moved. That's my addiction. So that's me. 
Recently, while playing badminton for a corporate tournament, I injured my Knee again, and the doctor who did my ACL reconstruction, diagnosis it as a meniscus tear. So another surgery and then rehabilitation is what has been suggested. So I am surely going to out of action for 3-6 months. I have discussed my condition with my Gym owner/coach, and he suggests that there is no need for a surgery, his reasoning being that, as Meniscus is a live tissue, if the right stimulation and providence is given the body should cure on its own. While this is in exact contradiction of what any Orthopedic Surgeon recommend, but I should say, whatever Md. Latheef Sir(Coach) says comes true at least 99% of the time. He needs 6 months to cure my knee. We do a few exercises to align the knee and strength the muscle and ligaments around it. So, if he knows what he's doing for me and 99% of the time he does, so I will trust him in his field of expertise and devote my complete trust and faith for the next 6 months. So that's my story. 
However, this injury has brought in a new perspective. The perspective is sustenance. Will I be able to do what I enjoy doing for the rest of the time that I live. What are those activities? Well, one is continue to lift weights, strive to progress week over week in terms of weight or reps and occasionally both, play some recreational sports like badminton and football, go for a trek, run a half marathon(i don't enjoy it, but why not try it) and most importantly, commute to work on my bike 60 kms a day. 
Injuries in sports are very common, the most affected areas being the knees, shoulders, or the lower back. In my opinion some are wear and tear, like an overuse syndrome or a high impact one, like a collision, a fall or just a wrong landing(this is what has happened to me). Most of us know this and have had to deal with this in their sport. 
When i was younger, i could do so many things in a day and really just get through with the day without much complaints. Today, a few wrong moves and I regret even trying. It is a pathetic state, as we aren't supermen anymore and that is depressing. And i am depressed. But, with this state of the mind, I strive to ask the question, what can we do with what we have and continue to do what I enjoy. 
Most people go for movies, enjoy parties, visit new places, and do many other things in the name of leisure, there is nothing wrong in that, but is generally not physically demanding, and it would be okay for someone like that to just have a set of legs to get from one place to the other. On the other hand, if someone enjoys my set of activities, it is required that one has healthy and robust joints and musculature. A debilitating or chronic injury is really going bring the shutters down on their life. 
So, while, till last month I wanted to lift heavy, log PRs and win competitions in sports, now I just want to be able to get back on my feet, run a couple of miles and be able to bend in the squatting position, and continue to do this time my late 60's and 70's. I really can't hang my shoes and call it a day. This is not me. 




No comments:

Post a Comment