Monday, July 28, 2014

A Routine from Hardgainer




Monday
1. Deadlift: 6 x 5 (3 warm-ups, 3 work sets)
2. Close-grip parallel pulldown: 5 x 6 (2 warm-ups, 3 work sets)
3. Barbell shrug: 5 x 6 (2 warm-ups, 3 work sets)
4. Barbell curl: 5 x 6 (2 warm-ups, 3 work sets)

Wednesday
1. Bench press: 5 x 6 (2 warm-ups, 3 work sets)
2. Incline bench press: 4 x 6 (1 warm-up, 3 work sets)
3. Seated behind-neck barbell press: 5 x 6 (2 warm-ups, 3 work sets)
4. Close-grip bench press: 5 x 6 (2 warm-ups, 3 work sets)

Friday
1. Squat: 6 x 6 (3 warm-ups, 3 work sets)
2. Standing calf raise: 4 x 15 (1 warm-up, 3 work sets)
3. Weighted abdominal crunch: 3 x 15

  1. Start each training cycle with a weight that’s 80% of my previous cycle’s best (comparing the samerep count); 
  2. Add weight each week until I’m within about 10 pounds of my previous best. From this point on the little discs enter the picture and I try to add a pound or two each week until I surpass my previous best. 
  3. Once I’ve reached a new maximum weight goal, or feel that my strength gains have stopped for the time being, I take a week off from both weight training and aerobic exercise, to rest and recuperate. 
  4. An average cycle for me can last anywhere from 12 to 18 weeks.

Dietary factors
I try to take in at least one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, mainly from chicken, turkey, lean meat, fish, eggs (mainly egg whites), low-fat dairy products and a good quality protein powder. Additionally, I eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, and pasta, potatoes, whole grain bread, rice and legumes for my complex carbohydrate needs. I try to take in a variety of nutritious foods to ensure I get all the nutrients my body needs, especially during the period of intensive training taking place in the latter portion of the cycle.
I try to eat five or six smaller meals a day as opposed to three large ones. This gives my body the nutrients it needs spaced evenly throughout the day, and also helps keep body fat under better control since it’s easier for my body to digest and properly assimilate the smaller meals. A tip that I’ve found helpful is to have a protein drink as soon as possible after training. After my workout, as soon as I return home, I immediately mix up a protein drink. I mix a cup of grape or apple juice with one cup of water and two large scoops of protein powder (the two scoops of protein powder provide 50 grams of protein). There’s reputed to be a two-hour “window of opportunity” after a workout, during which it’s imperative to get a combination of protein and carbohydrates into your system, to help start the body on the road to recovery as soon as possible. It’s thought that during this period immediately after a workout a good amount of recovery and
muscle growth takes place. A protein powder (or skimmed milk powder, for a cheaper alternative) is
used instead of eating a solid high-protein meal such as chicken breast. The latter takes longer to
digest and have the protein/amino acids available for recovery. The protein powder is mixed with
either grape or apple juice to take advantage of the simple carbohydrates that are present in the
juice. After a tough workout, the muscles are depleted of glycogen. The juice quickly allows the body
to replace the glycogen. It may be at this point that the body’s muscles are analogous to a sponge.
They have been depleted by the tough workout and will absorb the protein and carbohydrate that’s
provided. I’ve noticed a definite improvement in recovery ability ever since I started this practice.
After I’ve had this protein and juice drink, I wait about an hour and a half and then have a normal dinner.


No comments:

Post a Comment